Friday, August 3, 2007

Finished Coraline

I just finished reading Neil Gaiman's "Coraline" this morning. It's another terrific work of ficition from Gaiman. He continues to delight and entertain me. I haven't yet read one of his works that disappointed me.

I first heard about his work from my friend, Josh. He was then taking a religion and mythology class--I think for his Tier III class, before graduating. The class had to write an essay about a popular work that dealt with mythology. Josh found "American Gods," a novel that has probably garnered the most widespread praise for Gaiman. I read it...and LOVED it.

During the class, Josh also informed me that another student presented a report on "The Sandman" series of graphic novels. My interest was significantly piqued, as I've always been a "comic book fan" without actually reading that many comic books. I've since tried to read whatever I can find....of Gaiman and of the best graphic novels I can get my hands on. I welcome any recommendations...

Gaiman's also involved with some film projects that have me excited. In about a week or so, the film version of "Stardust" will be released, based on the novel by the same name. I think a movie version of "Coraline" is also in the works. Finally, he has co-written the screenplay for the upcoming version of "Beowulf" to be released. Yes....with Angelina Jolie as Grendel's mother.

Holy shit...

No comments: