Thursday, July 10, 2008

Medical Update

This week, I returned to Dr. Villarreal's office for one more test, to rule out my bladder as the issue causing me so much abdominal pain. Turns out, this simple visit that I underestimated turned out to be the most important of all. Following a potassium test, I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis, which many doctors refer to as endometriosis' evil twin. Approximately 70 to 90 percent of women with IC are misdiagnosed with endometriosis.

IC is basically the thinning out/wearing down of the bladder wall. I blame it on the fact that my mother gave me Pepsi from birth. But now, I have to change my diet, say goodbye to Pepsi, spicy foods, Ranch dressing, Funyons ... all the things I adore so much. Potassium and MSG are the culprits that aggravate the disease, so I've been put on a diet to avoid foods containing them. I'm pretty much left with bread, meats, dairy products, and a few vegetables.

Twice a week for the next two weeks and once per week following for four months, I'll be visiting my OB/GYN for "Rescue" therapy. That's where they pour a solution into my bladder that both helps relieve pain and begins coating my bladder, building the lining back up. The very night after my first treatment the other day, I slept. I only got up twice to go to the bathroom the entire night - compared to my usual five or six trips. My pain has also decreased drastically. In addition to the bladder treatments, I've been prescribed Elmiron, a drug I take three times a day. A one-month prescription runs at $340, so I'm truly grateful for insurance for one of the first times in my life. This drug helps block potassium and also works to rebuild the bladder wall.

It's amazing how much better I feel already. I'm sure this newfound peace of mind can be directly attributed to having a diagnosis that makes sense, one that I've already begun treatment for. It's been a long three months, but I feel my feet finding steady ground now. I'm thinking of having a "Jenn Quits Pepsi" party to celebrate. Ya know, I'd serve Pepsi to all of my guests and I'll drink Evian. I'm really quite depressed about it, so a party would be an uplifting way to say goodbye.

The really big light at the end of the tunnel is that if this works, Dr. Villarreal won't need to put me on hormone therapy for the endometriosis. He said after my laparoscopy that even though he found signs of endometriosis, he didn't think it was severe enough to be causing the pain I was having. Hopefully the treatment for IC will take care of everything. Cross your fingers, everyone!

1 comment:

tattooedg33k said...

that is the best news i've heard all day! i'm so glad you're finally on the road to recovery. AND no hormone therapy (hopefully)! huzzah!

tons of <3!